CLOSE
6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by 69RamFan
1 week ago
 Total posts:   854  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Veteran

Finally McVay opened up his offense to other groupings....

His first four games he used 85% in the 11 personnel grouping....

The last game against the Hags...

58% in the 11 personnel Grouping and 36% in the 12 personnel grouping and 6% for other groupings....

It showed that we have some very good TEs using the 12....

It also gave more protection for Goff to go through his progression and scan the field.

I would expect more of this type of balance for the rest of the season....

Now that McVay has tweaked his scheme...

We need for Wade Phillips to start Tweaking his Defense...

Have more blitzes to put more pressure on the QBs

by ramsman34
6 days ago
 Total posts:   3273  
United States of America   Enemy Territory - Seattle
Superstar

McVay always touts that he does what he thinks will work best against each opponent and plays into his teams strengths. I, like you, hope he saw how effective his TEs were and more importantly, can be against any opponent. And that 12-personnel will be very effective in both attacking and protection in the pass game. Again, regardless of opponent.

by ramsman34
6 days ago
Superstar

I agree that Wade needs to do something. Although, the D was fairly sound against the Hags. Wilson is just hard to defense against

by actionjack
6 days ago
 Total posts:   719  
United States of America   Sactown
Veteran

i would love to see more TE's, I especially want to see more of Everett, he is the hidden weapon. He is fast, shifty and hard to bring down, please please keep him involved in the pass game.

by Elvis
3 days ago
 Total posts:   22827  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://theathletic.com/1284666/2019/10 ... s-offense/

‘It’s what I’ve always wanted’: Gerald Everett getting his number called in Rams’ offense

By Vincent Bonsignore
Oct 10, 2019

The revelation certainly caught Sean McVay off guard. The head coach would know better than anyone what play was called and for whom exactly at any point in the game. Although in the whole scheme of things, it’s probably a very small and insignificant detail given the results.

When things work out, why sweat the small stuff, right?

Nevertheless, McVay was somewhat taken aback after being informed about tight end Gerald Everett’s impression that the majority of his targets and catches recently were on plays not specifically designed for him.

In other words, Everett sees most of the damage he has done the last two games coming on plays when he was the secondary option. At least that’s what he told The Athletic this week when asked about the breakout he has enjoyed while emerging as a primary and active target.

“Ironically, none of the passes that I caught were specified for me,” Everett said. “It was just how the defense unfolded and how the play just panned out.”

Everett did not reveal the information angrily or dismissively. He has emerged to deliver the two most productive performances of his young career. He is keenly appreciative that the ball is finding its way to him as frequently as it has been.

But for Everett, it doesn’t matter whether his number is being called or his increased production is merely the result of the chemistry he is developing with Jared Goff, who keeps finding the 6-foot-3, 240-pounder more and more thanks to Everett’s ability to instinctively locate open areas in the defense.

Everett has 12 catches for 180 yards and a touchdown over the last two weeks while putting his best attributes on display. According to Goff, Everett has the most reliable pass-catching hands on the team (the ball that ricocheted off Everett’s hands for an interception last week against the Seattle Seahawks notwithstanding). Also, Everett’s background in basketball, track and field and baseball add the element of nuance and athleticism upon securing the ball. Of the Rams’ receivers with more than 10 catches, Everett ranks second with an average of 12.4 yards per reception — 6.7 yards coming after the catch.

It is no coincidence, then, that Goff is on the lookout for Everett.

“Me and him have a pretty good rapport off-schedule,” Goff explained. “When I get outside the pocket, he has a good feel of space and has a good idea of subconsciously knowing where people are. He does a good job of that. … It’s innate in him and it’s been exciting to see.”

McVay, with his well-chronicled photographic memory, offered a good-natured rebuttal. It turns out he has indeed been dialing up plays specifically for Everett. And the tight end has responded with the best stretch of his young career.

“A lot of his targets, he was the primary on,” confirmed McVay, who also made sure everyone understood the progress Everett is making and what it’s meant for the 2017 second-round pick on the Rams’ pecking order.

Then again, maybe it’s a good thing Everett continues to think he’s not the first option. As long as the numbers keep piling up, does it really matter if he knows if he was the main target or not?

What’s most important is that McVay keeps making it a point to feature Everett in the game plan. “Confidence in him” is how McVay explained Everett’s expanding role.

“In a lot of instances, too,” McVay said, “we like to spread the ball around because of the confidence that we do have in the variety of playmakers we have, whether it be at the receiver position — you saw (tight end) Tyler (Higbee) make some plays as well — and then we’ve got backs that are capable.”

Everett has bided his time, dealing with injuries and the manner in which the Rams have gone about attacking opposing defenses. The connections with his head coach and quarterback are validation of the strides he has made.

“It’s what I’ve always wanted,” Everett said. “It’s what anybody wants on this team, in this offense, just to have that confidence from their peers. I’m glad that Jared trusts me and will let it go without (a second thought). I just hope that it translates for the rest of the year.”

With the way opposing defenses are continually trying to figure out ways to slow down the Rams (remember, they were the NFL’s highest-scoring team the last two seasons), it has created a sort of cat-and-mouse game between McVay and NFL defensive coordinators. In trying to stay a step ahead, McVay has diversified his portfolio.

While the Rams remain primarily a “11” personnel offense (one running back, one tight end, three wide receivers), they are working more “12” personnel (one RB, two TE, two WR) into the fold. In fact, they ran 24 plays out of 12 personnel against the Seahawks — by far the most in any game this year — against 39 plays out of an 11 grouping.

To put that in perspective, the Rams have been in 11 personnel on 280 plays this season compared to 38 plays in 12 personnel.

Not surprisingly, Everett had his best game ever last week with seven catches for 136 yards against Seattle. Higbee also benefited, adding three receptions for 47 yards.

Twelve of Everett’s 18 receptions have come in the last two games. (Scott R. Galvin / USA TODAY Sports)

“It just gives us more of a balanced approach and attacking from an offensive perspective,” Everett said. “Defenses, of course they have to account for Cooper (Kupp) and Brandin (Cooks) and Robert (Woods) and all those other guys, but Tyler and myself and Johnny (Mundt), we want to make sure they account for us, too.”

But was that a one-game thing? Or a sign of things to come?

“I can only hope,” Everett said. “I trust whatever we decide to go with on Sunday, but you know, of course we want to be on the field as tight ends. Everybody on this team wants to play. But whatever we see fit, and whatever we see best that will thrive in the game, I’m sure we’ll go with. We’ll trust that we can compete as hard as we can.”

More production could be coming from the tight ends. With his confidence growing in Everett and Higbee as viable pass targets, McVay can create additional stress for opposing defenses by forcing them to deal with the run and pass options out of 12 personnel. Both Everett and Higbee have emerged as effective run blockers, and as they continue to develop as receiving threats, defenses will be forced to choose who to prioritize.

Their presence creates different options for McVay and Goff to attack the zone-coverage looks the Rams are often facing.

“I think that goes back to when you’re playing against a zoning defense, being able to spread the field out and have all five eligible (receivers) in a position to make a play,” said Shane Waldron, the Rams’ passing game coordinator. “That’s where, certainly, the tight ends can play a big role in that. Especially when it’s over the middle in some of those zones where they might get lost and then they provide that big target inside for the quarterback.”

That wrinkle is becoming more and more prevalent by the week, as Goff has been working under the most pressure he’s seen the last two years. He has had to compensate by using his legs and eyes to extend plays in order locate targets working their way into open windows.

“Jared is doing a great job – one of his best games to date as far as working off-schedule,” Waldron said of the Seahawks loss in which Goff threw for 395 yards on 29-for-49 passing. “If the exact play didn’t work out, he’s able to hit Higbee in an off-schedule play to the flat to his right. Able to take Higbee on another check down, going deep to short on the read there. Then, also being able to hit Gerald for a real explosive play that got all the way down to inside the (1-yard line). Really off-schedule right there where he and Jared were able to be on the same page, find a window in the defense and really extend the play that the defense played really well.”

Off-schedule or specified target, Gerald Everett seems to be making his move. And for a Rams offense still trying to find a consistent identity, that might be a game-changer.

by ramsman34
3 days ago
Superstar

More 12 personnel and more passes to TEs please. And run behind them more as well. We need to dictate tempo and physicality to that fucking whiner D. And end drives in TDS.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Oct 15 2019