32 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by max
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:First of all, as has been noted before, PFF’s OL rankings are subjective, and hardly gospel.

Second, it’s WAAAAAAAAAY to early to draw conclusions.

It’s not too early to say Goff is getting hit too much.

We play in Cleveland next Sunday. They have Myles Garrett.

If he hurts Goff, I will be very upset. And I’m gonna blame some of the people responsible for our OL.

by aeneas1
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:It’s not too early to say Goff is getting hit too much.

If he hurts Goff, I will be very upset. And I’m gonna blame some of the people responsible for our OL.

whew, for a moment there i thought you were going to say "i'm going to blame some of the people in this room; and then I do not forgive."

by /zn/
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I’m a big believer in the axiom “times change”

There’s no guarantee that taking a bunch of lower picks and castoff FA is going to work every time.

Well one of the things that has changed is that high picked OL are not the safe bet they used to be. The percentages of hits with that has gone down, cause if nothing else, the college spread makes it harder to judge OL. So there's no guarantee that spending high picks works the way it is supposed to either.

What has not changed, IMO, is that you are better off with a top OL coach (see New England). Rams have that covered.

And the thing about UDFAs and cast offs is that there's always more than you need. So you get to sample in training camp till you find one who works. And the Rams have a long good record starting guys like that. See for example Nutten, McCollum, and Gruttadauria. Most recently, Blythe.

Back to the 2009 Saints OL. Their center in 2009 was Jonathan Goodwin, who signed with them on a bargain deal in 2006. He became the starter in 2008. He was essentially their Blythe, a cast-off from the Jets who was a bench rider mostly though he started 10 games at guard in 2005.

You look around the league at OLs and resurrected cast-offs are part of many good lines.

by Kid Charlamagne
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Godfather references are always appreciated

by Elvis
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

max wrote:I’m a big believer in the axiom “times change”

Not seeing it.

You're obsessing on the Oline like Vince Lombardi is still coaching...

by aeneas1
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You're obsessing on the Oline like Vince Lombardi is still coaching...

i was going to say you're obsessing over the oline like you obsessed over gurley's knee, like you obsessed over goff's post-bye scatter plot, like you obsessed over 50 yard runs, like you obsessed over that guy's top-tier qb thing, like you obsessed over...

by aeneas1
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Never got a response on this, Max?

thought that was a god question....

personally i think it contributed to his harassment but i also think the rams passing game often asks that of the qb, to wait for the long developing routes to develop, and the rams hi-lo concepts also contribute to it, by the time a qb's done with the first (deeper) read the pressure clock has taken a hit... as far as the fumble is concerned, it seemed that demby just called it quits after x seconds while onyemata kept his motor going:

by AvengerRam
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:It’s not too early to say Goff is getting hit too much.

No, but it’s too early to say that this OL won’t be able to do a better job of keeping Goff from getting hit.

...who will be blocked by Whitworth and Havenstein, both of whom were starters for the Rams all of last year.

Okay...if that makes you feel better.

• 2 / 4
32 posts Apr 19 2024