29 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:Well if it was printed in newspapers like Super Bowl was, it might as well been your name.
LOL... Not if it was printed in the, "Muncie Star." Moklerman's question was in response to a trivia question which (for me anyway) assumes the first official naming of the game, as opposed to the first time it was referred to as a super bowl. But maybe that's what Moklerman is looking for in which case he'll earn bonus points for knowing it was named by some writer in Muncie, Indiana. Thank god he didn't use, "Super Duper Utterly Fantastic Out Of This World Better Than Any College Bowl Game" as his header.

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

KNUCKLEHEAD wrote:LOL... Not if it was printed in the, "Muncie Star." Moklerman's question was in response to a trivia question which (for me anyway) assumes the first official naming of the game, as opposed to the first time it was referred to as a super bowl. But maybe that's what Moklerman is looking for in which case he'll earn bonus points for knowing it was named by some writer in Muncie, Indiana. Thank god he didn't use, "Super Duper Utterly Fantastic Out Of This World Better Than Any College Bowl Game" as his header.

So what newspaper do you consider legit if the “Muncie Star” isn’t credible?
Was the “Daily Northwestern” legit?
The “Dallas Morning News”?
Or perhaps a paper nobody ever heard of in the “New York Times”?

Not sure what your problem is, but my point was that clearly the 1st Super Bowl was referred to as exactly that. Even 2 weeks before the actual game, but it officially changed the name later.

Do you realize that is in agreement with your initial post here? And that I referred to an article that supported your post?
Attachments
925CFC5C-9CB0-472E-A0E1-3792FFCE8397.jpeg
676A83D6-5E23-4A8D-9B94-4139BC27D199.jpeg
F4198312-621A-4FD0-BA2A-676D9321CF98.jpeg

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:So what newspaper do you consider legit if the “Muncie Star” isn’t credible?
Was the “Daily Northwestern” legit?
The “Dallas Morning News”?
Or perhaps a paper nobody ever heard of in the “New York Times”?

Not sure what your problem is, but my point was that clearly the 1st Super Bowl was referred to as exactly that. Even 2 weeks before the actual game, but it officially changed the name later.

Do you realize that is in agreement with your initial post here? And that I referred to an article that supported your post?
Not sure what your problem is either. If you don't recognize the difference between people, papers, writers, whatever... using the word "Super" as an adverb in a declarative sentence, as compared to a specific brand name, then I'm just spinning my wheels here. Like I said, Moklerman knows what he needs. I having nothing else to add to this, "discussion."

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

KNUCKLEHEAD wrote:Not sure what your problem is either. If you don't recognize the difference between people, papers, writers, whatever... using the word "Super" as an adverb in a declarative sentence, as compared to a specific brand name, then I'm just spinning my wheels here. Like I said, Moklerman knows what he needs. I having nothing else to add to this, "discussion."

They called it Super Bowl
You’re right though, you have nothing to add.
Maybe you should try reading the thread so you can see that you are making no sense here.
Or not. Doesn’t matter to me

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:They called it Super Bowl
You’re right though, you have nothing to add.
Maybe you should try reading the thread so you can see that you are making no sense here.
Or not. Doesn’t matter to me
Maybe you should read the OP's original question... or have someone read it for you. In summation... It was not officially named the Super Bowl for the first 3 games by anybody in an official capacity to do so. The first 3 Lombardi trophies make no mention of a "Super Bowl" in their engravings. They were called the NFL Championships. World professional Football Championships to be accurate. You should know that. The Term "Super Bowl" was copyrighted by the NFL in 1969. The first Lombardi trophy with a "Super Bowl" designation Was Super Bowl IV in 1970. You should know that as well, Mr. football. If the OP wanted to know when "THEY" called it the Super Bowl, whoever "THEY" are, I believe he would have asked that. If indeed he was, I gladly give you credit, but like I said, I defer to him. As previously stated, I have nothing left to offer on the subject. As for your snarkiness... I would expect no less from you, and I'll be happy to respond in kind.

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

moklerman wrote:Thanks to everyone who replied. It appears as if the game has been called the Super Bowl since the beginning but not officially recognized as such until the third one. Lamar Hunt may or may not have come up with the name. But, I guess in general my question was answered because I didn't know if anyone at all was calling it the Super Bowl from the start, officially or otherwise.

For some reason, I'm kind of disappointed for some reason. Don't know why it seems better that they came up with the name along the way instead of just having it from the start.
Attachments
trophy.JPG
Add description For future reference

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

KNUCKLEHEAD wrote:

Great, now you get it.
You can feel free to apologize for being an asshole, but I know better.
Good lord.
First response in the thread:
dieterbrock wrote:I'm too lazy to look it up but IIRC, although the official title of the game was the NFL/AFL championship game, it was referred to as the Super bowl from game 1.

Fact

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:Great, now you get it.
You can feel free to apologize for being an asshole, but I know better.
Good lord.
First response in the thread:

Fact
I'm sorry for being an asshole...

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 7 months ago
Undrafted Free Agent

KNUCKLEHEAD wrote:I'm sorry for being an asshole...
Dieterbrock wrote:I've always felt that when posting it would be like talking to my friends in a bar, and playful jabs would be common place. It is fun to debate, argue and what not, and in person when calling someone a jack ass, moron etc can clearly be seen as such. Bust balls? Get under skin in the name of fun? Totally my intent.
If perceived otherwise, not my intent at all
Go Rams
Good to know. I rescind my apology. ;)

• 3 / 3
29 posts Apr 18 2024