26 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by aeneas1
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:..but teams that lose the SB tend to not play so well the next season.

there used to be something to that, but in the last 10 years (2009-2018) super bowl losers have averaged an 11-5 record the following season while 9 of the 10 posted double digit wins and made it back to the postseason.

by R4L
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:there used to be something to that, but in the last 10 years (2009-2018) super bowl losers have averaged an 11-5 record the following season while 9 of the 10 posted double digit wins and made it back to the postseason.

Thanks lol. I knew you would have the stats. 8-)

by max
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Definitely.

I don't claim to know what's gonna happen but that 2001 team was on the verge of being a dynasty having won the SB in '99. The loss must have been devastating for all involved, i know it was for me as a fan.

This team is young, on the rise, getting to the SB in McVay's 2nd year was a hell of an accomplishment. I have a hard time thinking the SB loss will be much of a negative for these guys.

But, of course, we'll see...

This time it seems different.

We were an overwhelming favorite to win that SB. It was a total shock to everyone associated with the Rams. Plus Martz was a fragile guy, I think he got totally disoriented after that loss.

And lets not forget that Martz was handed that powerhouse roster, he didn't build it, I don't think he had the toughness that Vermeil had to turn around a perennial loser.

McVay on the other hand has shown he has what it takes to change the culture of an entire organization. Plus the team is young, and got to the SB sooner than many expected when he took over the reigns. They totally believe in McVay, everyone does in the Rams organization. That was not the case for Martz.

On top of that, there was the Saints game where we were very lucky to get away with that bad call. As well as Goff and the defense played in the 2nd half of that game, we were playing with house money in the SB. The 2001 Rams were the #1 seed, everyone expected them to win from the time the playoffs started, beating the Pats was supposed to be a formality. When you lose like that its crippling, I couldn't sleep for days.

After this past SB, I was down and disappointed but, I wasn't in a trance for days. I thought about how young McVay and Goff are, and how bright the future is.

We are more like the 71 Dolphins who lost to the Cowboys, then we are to the 2001 Rams.

by max
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:there used to be something to that, but in the last 10 years (2009-2018) super bowl loser have averaged an 11-5 record the following season while 9 of the 10 posted double digit wins and made it back to the postseason.

How many make it back to the SB? Thats what Faulk is picking here.

I think its only the Pats who have done that, although the Broncos lost and came back 2 years after and won.

Not that it matters, every case is different. And we are dealing with a phenom HC in McVay. Thats the real discriminator here. McVay and the culture he has brought to the Rams.

by aeneas1
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:How many make it back to the SB? Thats what Faulk is picking here.

must have missed that part of the interview, but as far as the question is concerned you might as well ask how many super bowl winners make it back the following year.

dating back to 1990, i.e. the last 30 years, 60 teams have played in the super bowl - only 6 of these teams won the super bowl the previous year while 4 of these teams lost the super bowl the previous year... take the patriots out of the equation and it's 4 and 3.

by max
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:must have missed that part of the interview, but as far as the question is concerned you might as well ask how many super bowl winners make it back the following year.

dating back to 1990, i.e. the last 30 years, 60 teams have played in the super bowl - only 6 of these teams won the super bowl the previous year while 4 of these teams lost the super bowl the previous year... take the patriots out of the equation and it's 4 and 3.

That’s a good take.

I guess people don’t scrutinize teams that win it all. It’s like if you win it, then you’re off the hook.

by BobCarl
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I love Eisen, but he was overmatched by the intelligence of Faulk ... Eisen bit off more than he can chew with that interview.

by Kid Charlamagne
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Rich isn’t all that controversial and if Marshall wants to be then that’s on him but yeah he says what he thinks.

• 2 / 3
26 posts Apr 17 2024