CLOSE
142 posts
  • 4 / 15
 by /zn/
3 months ago
 Total posts:   4653  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

max wrote:I'm concerned not just because of a PS. I look at everything.

This article is worth viewing.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/13/j ... -blocking/

The article says this:

While Henderson should improve with more repetitions, early signs are that it will not be a natural transition. ... For now, Henderson’s struggles adapting to the base scheme will limit his opportunity to these change-of-pace situations.

Let's say that it does take DH some time to adapt to the Rams base running scheme. That might be true and it might not but let's say it is.

Any good offensive coches can come up with running plays that take advantage of what a young back did in college. They can and likely will scheme up some gap run plays of the kind he ran at Memphis. During the season, he would not be strictly limited to the open-ended zone plays the Rams mostly run.

They're just not going to run those in the pre-season. In the pre-season, you make DH learn how to run ZBS plays.

(And of course even if Henderson adapts quickly to the Rams ZBS, they can still program in plays for him based on his college offense. )

BTW, the reason CJ Anderson picked up the Rams running scheme so quickly is because he had been in it before. When he first got to Denver in 2013, the Broncos legendary OL coach Alex Gibbs, the guru of zone blocking, was still there as a consultant. CJ credits Gibbs with teaching how to be a ZBS type runner.

by max
3 months ago
 Total posts:   3877  
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:The article says this:

Let's say that it does take DH some time to adapt to the Rams base running scheme. That might be true and it might not but let's say it is.

Any good offensive coches can come up with running plays that take advantage of what a young back did in college. They can and likely will scheme up some gap run plays of the kind he ran at Memphis. During the season, he would not be strictly limited to the open-ended zone plays the Rams mostly run.

They're just not going to run those in the pre-season. In the pre-season, you make DH learn how to run ZBS plays.

(And of course even if Henderson adapts quickly to the Rams ZBS, they can still program in plays for him based on his college offense. )

BTW, the reason CJ Anderson picked up the Rams running scheme so quickly is because he had been in it before. When he first got to Denver in 2013, the Broncos legendary OL coach Alex Gibbs, the guru of zone blocking, was still there as a consultant. CJ credits Gibbs with teaching how to be a ZBS type runner.

Yes. I’m aware of that, including the Anderson stuff.

The point here is that clearly there has been a learning curve on the scheme as Vinny said. It’s early, of course, but we won’t know for sure if/when DH gets it until we see it.

Heck, it may be in Hawaii. We just don’t know for sure yet.

by /zn/
3 months ago
Superstar

max wrote:The point here is that clearly there has been a learning curve on the scheme as Vinny said. It’s early, of course, but we won’t know for sure if/when DH gets it until we see it.

Heck, it may be in Hawaii. We just don’t know for sure yet.

But I was thinking, it also doesn't really matter. They don't need him to get it soon. It would be nice if he got it soon, but it's not vital. Especially with Brown ahead of him anyway. Henderson will contribute a lot this year either way.

by AvengerRam
3 months ago
 Total posts:   3392  
Israel   Longwood, FL
RFU Fantasy Football Champ

What am I missing here? That link goes to the same analysis by the same fantasy geek...er... analyst that has already been pointed out to be inconsistent with what Henderson and his former college coach have said about his compatibility in the Rams' offense.

by dieterbrock
3 months ago
 Total posts:   10922  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

That makes it worse.... So what happened to "You know, trust but verify."
We will verify with actual football

by max
3 months ago
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:What am I missing here? That link goes to the same analysis by the same fantasy geek...er... analyst that has already been pointed out to be inconsistent with what Henderson and his former college coach have said about his compatibility in the Rams' offense.

Where is the post that quotes Henderson and his college coach?

by /zn/
3 months ago
Superstar

max wrote:Where is the post that quotes Henderson and his college coach?

Don't know about a post, but here's the article in question.

From an OC Register article: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/05/11/r ... pace-role/

But like the Rams, the Memphis offense subsisted on a heavy dose of outside zone runs, which asked backs to run off tackle while patiently reading the defense before cutting upfield.

The Rams ran more outside zone than any other team in the NFL last season. That scheme can be a difficult adjustment for some backs, but for the 5-foot-8 Henderson, it shouldn’t be an adjustment at all. Over the past two seasons, according to Pro Football Focus, he led all of college football with a staggering 10.7 yards per carry on such runs. Highlight reels offer endless examples of how Henderson’s extraordinary vision could translate to an NFL zone blocking scheme.

by Elvis
3 months ago
 Total posts:   23291  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Although, if you listened to McVay's presser today he did talk a little about Henderson getting up to speed and how that might impact his usage when the season rolls around...

by max
3 months ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Although, if you listened to McVay's presser today he did talk a little about Henderson getting up to speed and how that might impact his usage when the season rolls around...

Yeah, I’m confused.

by NST4
3 months ago
 Total posts:   62  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

max wrote:Is McVay keeping Henderson under wraps?

With the way Gurley's recovery is going...and the general shelf life of RBs...we should find out pretty soon.

• 4 / 15
142 posts Dec 07 2019