364 posts
  • 18 / 37
 by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:That was my love note.

honestly, i don't blame you for not answering, for not listing the qbs that you think have played better than goff over the past two years, it was a no-win sitch for you... then again, by not answering the question you pretty much did answer it.

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:goff's 100+ qb ratings in 2017 and 2018 are nothing more than a product of an inflated passing stats era, yet for some odd reason big ben hasn't booked a 100+ qb rating in the last two seasons, nor has rodgers, nor luck, nor prescott, nor cousins, nor stafford to name a few, weird.

It's ALL about McVay!!!! Any top QB in their prime could have done what Goff did in McVay's system. I mean just look at what each did in their 3rd season in the offense they knew for 3 years!!!

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:It's ALL about McVay!!!! Any top QB in their prime could have done what Goff did in McVay's system. I mean just look at what each did in their 3rd season in the offense they knew for 3 years!!!

ha ha... and how about the excuse makers who whine that their qb didn't do well because he had to learn an entirely new system under a new oc? goff had to learn an entirely new system under and new oc/hc and he went to the pro bowl. two years later he went to the pro bowl and to the super bowl. :D

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:honestly, i don't blame you for not answering, for not listing the qbs that you think have played better than goff over the past two years, it was a no-win sitch for you... then again, by not answering the question you pretty much did answer it.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the personal attacks.

7 QBs?

Here ya go...

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Mahomes
Wilson
Luck (now that he’s healthy again)
Rivers

Obviously, you will now play the stat game which ignores a lot of context. Have fun.

But there’s not a single HC in the NFL that would have rather had Goff the past 2 years than one of those 7 guys.

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:So you want to take any of the top QBs in their prime vs Goff in his third year and say they'd do as well as Goff? Well that certainly puts Goff in great company!! Why not any of the top QBs in their third year?

Ryan: 3705 yds, 62.5%, 28-9, 91.0
Wilson: 3475, 63.1%, 20-7, 95.0
Rivers: 3388, 60.7%, 22-9, 92.0
Ben R: 3513, 59.7%, 18-23, 75.4
Brees: 2108, 57.6%, 11-15, 67.5

Not sure how well these guys could play.....in their third year....in McVay's offense. It's impossible to say.

Not sure what you're doing there. I've said throughout this discussion that most of the good qbs actually had several games in their third year where they played below average. Like Goff himself did (6 games.)

You're not NOT reading posts yet replying to them anyway, are you? That's a repeated point of mine. You looking at third year qb play just repeats me on that. Except in your case, you also ignore the differences between the NFL passing game now v. then (as we all know passing stats are inflated).

And I said, which of those qbs would you switch out for Goff now, with them in their prime.

You do know what that means, right? To say take Goff over one of those qbs in their prime means you think Goff now is better than they were in their prime. Better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger....(that's something I said some people would avoid directly asnswering.)

The point of that comparison (if you're actually reading THIS post) is to ask how close or far Goff is now compared to a high standard for qb play. The idea being, people who admit that third year qbs are still developing will maybe calm down and feel less threatened when someone points out that JG in his third year still isn't fully developed yet.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Oh, I thought you were referring to the personal attacks.

7 QBs?

Here ya go...

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Mahomes
Wilson
Luck (now that he’s healthy again)
Rivers

Obviously, you will now play the stat game which ignores a lot of context. Have fun.

But there’s not a single HC in the NFL that would have rather had Goff the past 2 years than one of those 7 guys.

geesh, finally....

i think that's a respectable list, however why does rivers get so much love? at 38 you think he could come in this season and play better than goff has or will? despite having talent around him, rivers has taken the bolts to just 2 postseason in the last 9 years.

luck? i thought the guy was well on his way to being a top 3 qb for the next decade after his first 3 years in the league, hell after his first 2 years in the league, but he's dropped off a lot imo, has been very inconsistent... talking heads love teams and qbs that finish strong (see niners/ garoppolo) after bad starts, probably because they think it carries over to the next season (which it usually doesn't, see niners/garoppolo), and tend to overrate teams and qbs when that happens, forgetting the lousy start, and i think that's what's happened in luck's case for 2018, every one loves him because of his strong finish... however in the postseason he was back to inconsistent, and laid a huge egg against one of the league's worst defenses.

anyway, so you would pick 7 guys? that would put goff at 8? how many tier 1 qbs did sando's group come up with?

speaking of sando, i take it you find his stuff of value, meaningful? if so, do you agree that bradford was clearly a 28th out of 33 caliber qb headed into the 2016 season as sando's nfl experts determined?

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Honestly, if you could trade straight up for any QB I think if you make that trade, it would not be without some anxiousness. You want a playoff QB? You get Brady. You want a QB who can make plays when some key players are out? You get Rodgers. You want a guy who can make all the throws with accuracy when you have good protection and good receivers? You get Ryan. You want a guy who's mentally tough? You get Rivers.

But you know you'd be worried thinking what if Goff goes on to a Hall of Fame career for the next decade and a half while these guys are closer to the end of their careers. Mahomes would be the only one I'd feel more comfortable with because of his age. But with one year of a sample size I'd still be a little anxious. What if he's a one year wonder?

by azramsfan93
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

max wrote:But there’s not a single HC in the NFL that would have rather had Goff the past 2 years than one of those 7 guys.

I am curious what your process was that enabled you to talk to every HC in the NFL? I also find it interesting that McVay would make that claim to you - wasn’t he concerned about sending the wrong message to his QB?

I learn so much on the internet!

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:I am curious what your process was that enabled you to talk to every HC in the NFL? I also find it interesting that McVay would make that claim to you - wasn’t he concerned about sending the wrong message to his QB?

I learn so much on the internet!

Well the thread does include an article where a reporter asked 55 coaches and execs how they rank qbs now and to put them into tiers, 1 through 5.

So yeah there is some info on what coaches in the league think about these things.

Typically, with one exception, they tended to rank accomplished vets over still developing young qbs. Which is just completely unsurprising.

by Hacksaw
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Brady is a system QB.

• 18 / 37
364 posts Apr 16 2024