281 posts
  • 27 / 29
  • 1
  • 27
  • 29
 by /zn/
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4176  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:And the answer, once again, is... we don't know.


We know why they did miss time when they did, because that's reported. Same as when Gurley missed time last December. They said...pain/inflammation, knee. So with a bad flare-up of that, you have to miss time. You can't run, and it needs to rest. And when you miss time, they say why. The question is, did someone like Gore ever miss time because of pain/swelling in the knee? That can be found out. Just look up his injury history.

 by /zn/
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4176  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

max wrote:But who cares if they did or didn't? Not me.

All I care about is that Gurley did. We know for a fact that he has had a serious issue with inflammation and that he's taking measures to address it. And that doesn't mean getting injections that mask pain. It means doing things to mitigate inflammation so he can extend his career. And I'm not even gonna get into the arthritis thing which most likely is connected to the inflammation. The bottom line is that he's had this issue and he's doing things to address it.


It is very likely directly related. Unless you can think of another reason for pain/inflammation on a surgical knee where they also do not report an injury (rip, tear, break, deep bruise, bad sprain). In fact the kind of arthritis he is likely to have is often just called "wear and tear arthritis."

 by max
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3269  
 Joined:  Jun 01 2015
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:We know why they did miss time when they did, because that's reported. Same as when Gurley missed time last December. They said...pain/inflammation, knee. So with a bad flare-up of that, you have to miss time. You can't run, and it needs to rest. And when you miss time, they say why. The question is, did someone like Gore ever miss time because of pain/swelling in the knee? That can be found out. Just look up his injury history.


Not necessarily. No guarantees that Gore had pain/swelling in the knee and it was reported as such.

But as I said before. So what.

 by max
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3269  
 Joined:  Jun 01 2015
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:It is very likely directly related. Unless you can think of another reason for pain/inflammation to a surgical knee where they also do not report an injury (rip, tear, break, deep bruise, bad sprain). In fact the kind of arthritis he is likely to have is often just call "wear and tear arthritis."


I dunno. I’m not a doctor.

But I do like the medical term, "wear and tear arthritis."

Is that like a bald guy have an acute case of skinheadia? :D

 by /zn/
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4176  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

max wrote:I dunno. I’m not a doctor.

But I do like the medical term, "wear and tear arthritis."

Is that like a bald guy have an acute case of skinheadia? :D


It's just another phrase that identifies the type and cause. Even with just basic knowledge, we know there's different kinds of arthritic conditions, with different causes. One involving the knee is for cartlidge to wear out due to certain kinds of activity (like sports). So if you read around on it, it's often called that...to distinguish it from other kinds (like rheumatoid or metabolic). For example, 1. "Osteoarthritis, also called `wear and tear' arthritis, occurs when the cartilage cushioning your joints wears down. That allows bones to rub together, which can cause pain, swelling and limited range of motion." 2."Physical therapy can often help to reduce arthritis pain without medication.... The wear and tear on the joints that results from high-contact sports increases the likelihood of developing arthritis."

But yeah we're all just working with the few facts we have and every take on Gurley is at least part speculative. That's on every side of the issue. That's just how it goes. Think of the discussions of Warner's hand and the glove. Whisenhunt insisted he wear a glove. Yet some said the hand was never an issue.

 by aeneas1
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9991  
 Joined:  Sep 13 2015
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Not necessarily.

yep.

gurley had so much pain and inflammation in his knee leading up to the cardinals game that mcvay fully expected him to be available on gameday, instead he was an 11th hour scratch... gurley had so much pain and inflammation in his knee that at a presser he said that he could have probably played against the cards but wasn't sure how much of a load he could have carried.

gurley had so much pain and inflammation in his knee after the raiders game that he considered giving the rams their money back... he had so much pain and inflammation in his knee that he played the following week and went on to win first team all-pro and pro bowl honors, finished second in yards / game, and was never listed on an injury report until game 15.

the notion that any of us know the the day to day, game to game, physical condition (degree of soreness, swelling, stiffness, numbness, etc.) of any of these guys is patently laughable, we simply have no idea how much pain, soreness, swelling, stiffness, numbness, etc., these guys actually play with, or mask with painkilling shots.

i'm sorry, i mean none of us but zn.

anyhoo, back on planet earth, it's been reported that the rams have a maintenance plan in place to manage gurley's workload this season, that started with ota, those closest to gurley, who see him and talk to him, have said that he looks good, is in great shape, and will be at training camp as planned. hopefully we'll like what we see!

 by max
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3269  
 Joined:  Jun 01 2015
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:anyhoo, back on planet earth, it's been reported that the rams have a maintenance plan in place to manage gurley's workload this season, that started with ota, those closest to gurley, who see him and talk to him, have said that he looks good, is in great shape, and will be at training camp as planned. hopefully we'll like what we see!


Well, I take all that Gurley looks great stuff with as much salt as the Gurley is shot stuff. But that’s just me. I gotta see stuff with my own eyes.

We don’t know squat until we see him play. And then we need to see how he holds to see if the conditioning program he’s on really helps. I’m hopeful.

 by /zn/
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4176  
 Joined:  Jun 28 2015
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

max wrote:Well, I take all that Gurley looks great stuff with as much salt as the Gurley is shot stuff.


2 more cents then done for the day. Personally, and this is just my vote...I agree, I don't think it's either. I just keep remembering that guys can play with arthritic knees, and those can be managed. He can look great now (as opposed to December) and still have an arthritic knee; he can have an arthritic knee and not be "shot" as a player (and in fact probably isn't).

 by AvengerRam
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2585  
 Joined:  Oct 03 2017
Israel   Longwood, FL
RFU Fantasy Football Champ

/zn/ wrote:2 more cents then done for the day. Personally, and this is just my vote...I agree, I don't think it's either. I just keep remembering that guys can play with arthritic knees, and those can be managed. He can look great now (as opposed to December) and still have an arthritic knee; he can have an arthritic knee and not be "shot" as a player (and in fact probably isn't).


So, essentially, applying this analysis to the team as a whole, the Rams could win every game, or they could lose, just like other teams I can remember that won or, alternatively, lost, each game they played, so they each week they might win.

Or lose.

Or tie.

Whichever outcome occurs, the important thing to remember is...I called it.

 by max
3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3269  
 Joined:  Jun 01 2015
United States of America   New York Metro
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:So, essentially, applying this analysis to the team as a whole, the Rams could win every game, or they could lose, just like other teams I can remember that won or, alternatively, lost, each game they played, so they each week they might win.

Or lose.

Or tie.

Whichever outcome occurs, the important thing to remember is...I called it.


I don’t get it. What’s your point?

  • 27 / 29
  • 1
  • 27
  • 29
281 posts Jul 18 2019