12 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38438  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/24/jamei ... tract-year

4. A few weeks back, in this space, Jared Goff explained to us how the Rams were working on becoming more adaptable offensively—and a staffer there gave me a pretty good example of how that’s worked a little while back. Because the Rams spend their spring trying to master their own offense, they aren’t pushing up against what their defense might call. So the offensive calls going in this spring routinely put Goff and the offense in a spot where they have to react post-snap. If the call in is ideal against zone rather than the man defense Goff is seeing? Or if one built to beat a two-high safety look meets a single-high safety after the snap? That’s where Goff and the offense have to adapt. And as I’ve heard, Goff’s done a better job this spring in more quickly getting to his second read, then to his third read or checkdown. Which is how you improve against defenses that show you something different from what you saw on tape, which is what the Rams were up against in the Super Bowl.

by moklerman
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/24/jamei ... tract-year

4. A few weeks back, in this space, Jared Goff explained to us how the Rams were working on becoming more adaptable offensively—and a staffer there gave me a pretty good example of how that’s worked a little while back. Because the Rams spend their spring trying to master their own offense, they aren’t pushing up against what their defense might call. So the offensive calls going in this spring routinely put Goff and the offense in a spot where they have to react post-snap. If the call in is ideal against zone rather than the man defense Goff is seeing? Or if one built to beat a two-high safety look meets a single-high safety after the snap? That’s where Goff and the offense have to adapt. And as I’ve heard, Goff’s done a better job this spring in more quickly getting to his second read, then to his third read or checkdown. Which is how you improve against defenses that show you something different from what you saw on tape, which is what the Rams were up against in the Super Bowl.
With the success they were having with the communication tactic there wasn't a need to rush this part of Goff's development I suppose, but I'm glad they are now addressing it. Goff will become an elite QB if he gets this part of his game mastered. Air Raid QB's are generally further behind in this regard and it's a testament to McVay that he got Goff so far out in front without having to focus on this part of his game.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

It can be easy to lose sight of the fact that Jared Goff isn’t even 25 yet. He’s still developing both physically and mentally as a QB. His peak may still be years away. Considering how good he is now, that’s an encouraging thought.

by moklerman
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:It can be easy to lose sight of the fact that Jared Goff isn’t even 25 yet. He’s still developing both physically and mentally as a QB. His peak may still be years away. Considering how good he is now, that’s an encouraging thought.
It's very encouraging and really the biggest point of conversation about him.

That's why I don't blame McVay for taking the path he took with him. It was a bit of a crutch and something that would have to be grown out of at some point, but to take a guy who came from an Air Raid system in college and had been really screwed up by Jeff Fisher and overnight, turn him into a pro-bowler and playoff winner is remarkable.

His ascension has been rapid but he also has some things to improve on and that's what they are now focusing on. At 24, he's so far ahead of just about anyone else ever has been, it should be repeated often. But, I do think that his growth has been retarded somewhat by being in such an innovative, friendly system.

Guys like Manning were going through pretty tough growing pains their first 3 years while Goff has had it relatively comfortable. Not easy, but I don't think he's been tasked with learning and reading coverages and going through his progressions in the same way. Hopefully he takes that next step in '19.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

It’s like McVay actually sees his job as COACHING his QB, rather than assuming that’s the role of Goff’s high school and college coaches and his job was to just plug and play a finished product.

Pretty refreshing, actually.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

www.si.com wrote:Which is how you improve against defenses that show you something different from what you saw on tape, which is what the Rams were up against in the Super Bowl.

why that cagey, wily belichick... showed goff and mcvay something different than what they saw on tape! heck, is that even allowed? is that even legal? if so, who knew it was that easy? is it any wonder he owns 6 rings? mark my words, from this point forward every team will will try to trick the other guys by showing them something different, something they didn't expect, something that wasn't on tape, being the copycat league that it is.

if only carroll, payton, reid, arians, garrett, zimmer, shanny, pagano, o'brien, etc. knew about this "showing something different than what's on tape" stuff, knew about "showing goff something different than he was expecting" stuff, maybe goff wouldn't have shredded their defenses for 30+ offensive points (multiple times in some cases) over the last couple of seasons? but how were they supposed to know, i mean they're not belichick... instead they served up exactly what goff was waiting for, couldn't have made it easier for the guy, bless their little hearts!

in other news the patriots did one helluva job shutting down mcvay's bread and butter, rubs and long developing crossing routes from bunched wr sets, the pats set the tone from the start, knocking the snot out of everett on the rams first two pass plays... what they also did was exploit mcvays hi-lo concepts by bumping wr off their routes and getting after goff like a bat out of hell (pressured on 50% of his dropbacks vs a league average of 30%). anyway, i know at least a couple of us hoped mcvay would develop better exit strategies for pass plays that got shut down, better check down and/or hot read options, my guess is the super bowl will finally make that happen.

chrome_2019-06-26_00-07-34.png

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:It can be easy to lose sight of the fact that Jared Goff isn’t even 25 yet. He’s still developing both physically and mentally as a QB. His peak may still be years away. Considering how good he is now, that’s an encouraging thought.

I always thought the physical and mental peak for a QB was around 28 years. The physical part might last a few years then start to fade. But the mental part just keeps getting better.

Goff has always gotten better since his freshman year in college. His dad once said he has never not gotten better since he started playing.

But how much better can you be when you've been top 5 in most passing categories and to the Superbowl? I think it now comes down to being that quarterback who can lead his team greatness. They weren't far from it last year.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Easy is not the best word.

It’s lazy.

People are inherently lazy thinkers.

by actionjack
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   3935  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:I always thought the physical and mental peak for a QB was around 28 years. The physical part might last a few years then start to fade. But the mental part just keeps getting better.

Goff has always gotten better since his freshman year in college. His dad once said he has never not gotten better since he started playing.

But how much better can you be when you've been top 5 in most passing categories and to the Superbowl? I think it now comes down to being that quarterback who can lead his team greatness. They weren't far from it last year.

I think with what is known now about fitness etc, the peak for a QB is probably closer to 32.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Guys like Manning were going through pretty tough growing pains their first 3 years while Goff has had it relatively comfortable. Not easy, but I don't think he's been tasked with learning and reading coverages and going through his progressions in the same way. Hopefully he takes that next step in '19.

I don't see the remarks about this year's emphasis on post-snap reads as leading to that conclusion. I think it's just true that most if not all true 3rd year qbs are not that there yet when it comes to going through progression and reading coverages. Any good coach will tailor his offense around that. I don't think there's any support for a narrative which says, unlike other 3rd year qbs Goff is unusually behind when it comes to that.

An exception was Warner but then Warner's 2nd year in the NFL (99 obviously) he was older and more experienced in comparison. His first training camp was in 94. By the time he was a starter in 99, he had been to 3 training camps, had been a graduate assistant for the Northern Iowa team, played in the Arena League, played in NFL Europe, and had been on an NFL roster for a year, plus was 28 years old. He wasn't this 24 year old still maturing kid.

A more typical example is Roethlisberger. In his 3rd year, BR had 8 games with a qb rating below 80 (5 of which were below 60, including 2 in the 30s). In those games he had a completion percentage in the 50s 5 times, and also had only 5 TDs to 21 INTs.

In fact Goff did better than that in his 3rd year. In 2018 (regular season) he had 4 games with a qb rating below 80 (2 of which were below 60). In those games he had a completion percentage in the 50s or lower 3 times, and also had 2 TDs to 7 INTs. Bad...but unlike BR, that's just 4 games.

• 1 / 2
12 posts Apr 16 2024