23 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:This a cool thread and a bitchen podcast which i'm glad max found and shared. It's a breath of fresh air from the normal knee based Gurley threads.

No need to be haters...

Guess I just don’t have much faith that any Gurley thread at this point won’t devolve into another knee debate.

I hope this thread proves me wrong.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

not sure i've ever seen a sit down chat with gurley when he didn't come across as a warm, open, friendly, smiling guy, a far cry from his pressers when he often comes across as a bit defensive, curt, and even bored, probably because he's asked the same questions again and again and again.

anyway, i've always dug gurley, seems like a sensitive guy, and always seems to make a point of praising the young guys coming into the league.

impossible not to dig his comment when it was mentioned that by signing him to a big contract the rams organization took a stance and said we're behind you even though the common belief is that running backs don't have long careers in the nfl - gurley nodded in seemingly full agreement and said "they didn't have to do that at all".

and you gotta be happy for gurley's beyond meat deal, opened at $25, jumped to $160+, now trading in the $150 range, nothing like a 700% return, ha ha ha.

speaking athlete money, my father-in-law was a financial advisor, owned and operated a financial investment firm, many of his clients included sf giants and sf niners players.

the nightmare stories he would share about athletes getting absolutely fleeced by financial charlatans were simply incredible - i asked him if teams, as part of the incoming rookie process, or even as an ongoing process, spoke to the athletes about financial management and pointed them to reputable investment people, and he replied absolutely not, out of fear they could be held liable in the event things went south, that outside of telling them a few basics, the kids were on their own.

not sure if this has changed much over the years, he told me this quite a while ago, but it seems that the nflpa (as opposed to nfl teams) offers financial management help... anyway, seems that gurley is being smart with his money, and is very interested in learning as much about investing and business as possible, damn good for him.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:The first 3:45 they were talking my language.

But hose guys committed wine Infanticide, a 2016 Cakebread Cabernet? WTF?... oh well what do you expect from a couple of wine noobs. The wine has a good reputation though ... it retails for about $80 a bottle, and prolly $200-$225 in an upscale restaurant.

Gurley humbled them when he dropped the name of Kroenke's wine, Screaming Eagle. LOL

You can't touch Screaming Eagle unless you're on the billionaire list.

I'm perfectly fine with the nice stuff up on Howell Mt, like O’Shaugnessy. And Quintessa makes a really nice Cab blend in Napa. Over in Sonoma, I really like the Pinots at Dehlinger and Lynmar.

by R4L
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:No need to be haters...

No hating. It just could have been added to one of the other 53 Gurley threads, but hey im not the moderator, if you like it that's all that matters.

by R4L
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

AvengerRam wrote:Guess I just don’t have much faith that any Gurley thread at this point won’t devolve into another knee debate.

I hope this thread proves me wrong.

100% what i meant as well.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I know our resident RFU Sommelier Bob Carl has heard this one from me before....but,

My California friends tell this Canuck:
If you want WINE....go to SONOMA.
If you want auto parts....go to NAPA!!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:not sure i've ever seen a sit down chat with gurley when he didn't come across as a warm, open, friendly, smiling guy, a far cry from his pressers when he often comes across as a bit defensive, curt, and even bored, probably because he's asked the same questions again and again and again.

anyway, i've always dug gurley, seems like a sensitive guy, and always seems to make a point of praising the young guys coming into the league.

impossible not to dig his comment when it was mentioned that by signing him to a big contract the rams organization took a stance and said we're behind you even though the common belief is that running backs don't have long careers in the nfl - gurley nodded in seemingly full agreement and said "they didn't have to do that at all".

Agree. Gurley is a cerebral RB. Very rare. That was a big reason why I supported the extension. And the Rams probably felt the same way.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Another article based on the podcast:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... s-angeles/

Todd Gurley capitalizing on business side of Rams being in L.A.

By: Cameron DaSilva | 5 hours ago

The Rams moving to Los Angeles was extremely tough on the fans in St. Louis. Many felt betrayed and no longer support the team after Stan Kroenke bolted for the bright lights of Hollywood. As difficult as it was for the city, moving to Los Angeles opened doors for the team and its players.

It’s a big reason Ndamukong Suh decided to sign with the Rams last offseason, given the business opportunities available in L.A. Todd Gurley is also taking advantage of being in Hollywood, capitalizing on off-field ventures and preparing for life after football.

On the LightHarted Podcast with Josh Hart, Gurley discussed how he’s setting himself up for success after his playing days are over.

“You’ve got to. You’ve got to. For me, you have to. For me to be in L.A. and be a known athlete, to have actual billionaires’ numbers in your phone. Because once you’re out of this league, it’s too late. It’s way too late,” Gurley said. “Show the type of person you are now. You don’t have to be fake or anything but just make those connections and do everything possible. So if nothing did work out, at least you know that – just like in sports – you work hard, you work hard, even if the outcome is not what you want, at least you know you put yourself in the best position possible.”

When Gurley first came into the NFL, he wasn’t as focused on the business side of being a professional athlete. He admits he liked partying and having a good time, which is to be expected of young players.

However, now entering his fifth season, Gurley has turned his attention to business opportunities and establishing connections.

“I feel like I’m not late, but I feel I could’ve been doing this a lot sooner, which is OK because you live and you learn,” Gurley said. “But when I first got in the league, it was about partying. It was like, ‘OK, I can party, but instead of chilling and sitting around and not doing nothing productive all day, why not set up meetings?’

“I just went to the Super Bowl, I’m playing in the NFL, I’m a known athlete, so it’s like, why not put myself in a position? I have all these phone numbers in my phone, so why not use them? For me, I just want to know. Because what you don’t know, you don’t know and the only way to know is to experience it or get the knowledge from someone else.

Gurley has opened his mind to other financial opportunities besides just his NFL paycheck, such as investing in stocks. He invested in Beyond Meat early on before the price of the stock soared following its IPO. And now that Gurley is exploring those avenues, he’s discussing them with other players and friends, too.

“I’ve been learning about the business, building your own brand, being your own CEO and learning about that stuff, it interests me,” he said. “It kind of got my head to where I’m telling my friends about this and now we’re all having conversations instead of sitting at a table talking about what we’re going to do tonight, we’re like, ‘Hey man, I heard about the Beyond Meat’ or ‘You heard about this trade?’ or ‘Amazon did this or does that.’”

It’s especially important for Gurley to build his brand and to make money off the field because NFL players’ careers are so short, particularly with regards to running backs. He knows he’s not going to play forever, so he wants to set himself up for success after football.

“I want to learn that side of the business because for basketball, you can play five years, 10 years, 15 years. But I’m a running back, I’m only going to play for so long. If I did five years, 10 years, 15 years, I would definitely be happy, but I still have plenty of life to live after that,” Gurley added. “I want to be so busy and have stuff set up so when I’m done, I’m not even thinking about football, it’s like I already have this in place, I already have my foundation that I’m starting up and then I can start working on that and just learning other stuff.”

Gurley is making more than $14 million per year, but he knows the importance of being financially stable after football and he’s putting a clear emphasis on that aspect of his life.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

well it seems that gurley and dickerson have spent time together since the rams moved back to l.a., from a financial standpoint that has to be good for gurley given dickerson has a reputation for still having having every penny he ever earned, and then some.

• 2 / 3
23 posts Apr 16 2024