180 posts
  • 18 / 18
 by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:There are doubters and there are believers.

If you want to hear doubters just listen to the media, if you want believers just read this message board.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I don't rely on the media or people on message boards. I rely on primary sources. Such as... well... Todd Gurley himself, who said this today:

"I’m fine, I’m training, I’m doing what I’m doing in the offseason – what I’ve always done up to this point, so it’s just part of getting ready for training camp and the season"

“I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college. This is small"

I believe that. Anyone who believes media people or fans who are saying anything that is different from that disbelieve Gurley himself. I see no reason to disbelieve Gurley.

by Ramsdude
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Todd Gurley on knee: It’s a small problem

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/11/todd-gurley-on-knee-its-a-small-problem/

Rams running back Todd Gurley‘s knee injury has been a major topic of conversation since he missed time because of it late in the 2018 season and he’s remained off the field during the team’s offseason program.

The condition of Gurley’s knee has been labeled a concern, but the running back didn’t sound overly worried about it when he spoke to reporters on Tuesday. Gurley said he’s fine and doing the same kinds of things he’s always done in the offseason while making a comparison to how he felt after tearing his ACL in his final year at the University of Georgia.

“I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college. This is small,” Gurley said.

Head coach Sean McVay said at his own press conference that the team plans to have Gurley back on the field for drills at training camp. Any alteration to that plan will likely lead to greater concern about what he’ll be able to do in 2019.

by max
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I don't rely on the media or people on message boards. I rely on primary sources. Such as... well... Todd Gurley himself, who said this today:

"I’m fine, I’m training, I’m doing what I’m doing in the offseason – what I’ve always done up to this point, so it’s just part of getting ready for training camp and the season"

“I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college. This is small"

I believe that. Anyone who believes media people or fans who are saying anything that is different from that disbelieve Gurley himself. I see no reason to disbelieve Gurley.

What you are doing is taking soundbites that come from players and believing them to be totally forthcoming.

Thats what believers on message boards do.

Clearly there's a problem. Gurley said its a SMALL thing. But its a thing nonetheless. He didn't say its NOT a thing. Will the SMALL thing become a big thing? Probably eventually, and the hope is eventually is at least a couple of years away.

As I said earlier in this thread, I expect Gurley to be fine this year, but his workload will be less and he's probably closer to the end of his prime years than the beginning. I'm at the point now where I just don't want to get all emotional over it like some fanatics here.

by PARAM
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Will the SMALL thing become a big thing? Probably eventually

Precisesly. I injured my back in 1973. Played sports and was told I'd probably have issues. I did for years. Eventually surgery in 2009.

aeneas1 wrote:but don't we have that exact inside source, a source named todd gurley?

Yeah but he's a liar! :roll2:

by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:What you are doing is taking soundbites that come from players and believing them to be totally forthcoming.

Thats what believers on message boards do.

No, that's what people who trust those who never have given them reason to distrust do. Message boards have nothing to do with it.
Clearly there's a problem. Gurley said its a SMALL thing. But its a thing nonetheless. He didn't say its NOT a thing. Will the SMALL thing become a big thing? Probably eventually, and the hope is eventually is at least a couple of years away.

Name me an NFL RB who has played more than 3 years, averages over 250 touches a year, and isn't potentially a couple of years away from a physical breakdown. You presume that Gurley is closer than most due to his knee issues, but you don't know that. Nobody does.
As I said earlier in this thread, I expect Gurley to be fine this year, but his workload will be less and he's probably closer to the end of his prime years than the beginning. I'm at the point now where I just don't want to get all emotional over it like some fanatics here.

I don't know who your straw man is, but its not me. I'm neither emotional nor fanatical.

Truth is, I agree with some of what you say about Gurley. I just feel that you hedge a lot by throwing in unnecessary disclaimers and caveats. That's where we differ. I don't feel a need to do so.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:What you are doing is taking soundbites that come from players and believing them to be totally forthcoming.

so coaches and players are not to be believed, but hacks are? interviews and q&a pressers shown in their entirety are misleading soundbites, while excerpts taken out of context and reported by hacks are worth a listen? got it.

you started this thread with:
max wrote:He’s not at any of these “voluntary” mini camps doing anything. Anyone else think that knee is definitely an issue that is being kept under wraps? ...You don't get all that inflammation and pain when there's nothing seriously wrong. Gurley has a bad knee. How bad we aren't being told.

did any of this come from the rams or those closest to gurley? have they said that gurley wasn't at any of the ota's, wasn't do anything? have they said gurley's knee is enormously inflamed, had a lot of pain, and that gurley has a bad knee? seems to me that they've said the opposite. repeatedly. consistently. but that's not to be believed.

so who's saying this stuff? who makes max and other clickbait victims so eager to believe, without a shred of proof, that "Gurley's not at any of these “voluntary” mini camps doing anything."? that gurley "has arthritis in his knee"? seems to me it's the hacks. who apparently are to be believed.

my favorite quote to date, submitted by the lovable d'marco farr, seems to sum up the gurley sitch perfectly:

"..but just going back to your original point saying that it's not a concern, that's just not true, there's obviously an issue there, it's a concern, but saying tood gurley is not going to be todd gurley because of it, that's wrong."

:D

by Hacksaw
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Todd Gurley on knee injury: 'This is small,' plan is to have him ready for Rams opener vs. Panthers

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/todd ... s-panthers

Eleven months ago, Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $57.5 million extension that made him the NFL's highest-paid running back -- and rightly so. He rushed for 1,305 yards, added another 788 receiving yards and totaled 19 touchdowns in the 2017 season.

Gurley had a strong 2018 campaign, too, with 1,251 rushing yards, 581 receiving and 21 touchdowns. But a knee injury limited him during the postseason when he had just four carries in the conference championship game and 10 carries two weeks later in the Super Bowl. In both games, Gurley combined for 45 yards and one touchdown.

At the combine in March, CBSSports.com's John Breech reported that there was so much concern over the knee that a stem cell procedure was being considered. That was in addition to a report that Gurley is dealing with arthritis.

Concern about Gurley's health for the upcoming season would be understandable -- except that Gurley doesn't sound worried at all.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," he told reporters Tuesday at the start of Rams mandatory minicamp, via NFL.com. "This is small."

Gurley continued: "I've be hearing stuff all my life. Just whatever growing up. Hearing comments or whatever that is. All of the stuff don't really get to me. I feel like I do a great job, got a great supporting cast. ... It's football. It's the game I've been playing my whole life, so it's nothing new to me. I know what I'm capable of. I know what type of person I am. No big deal to me."

And perhaps it's not but the Rams did select Memphis running back Darrell Henderson in the third round, typically something a team with other needs (and no first-round pick) wouldn't do with a depth chart that includes the league's best back and a solid backup (in Malcolm Brown) behind him.

But like Gurley, coach Sean McVay sounds optimistic about Gurley's knee.

"I feel real good," McVay told reporters. "Talking to Todd, he looks really good, and feels really good. I think the plan that we set out a few months back has been followed exactly the way that we wanted it to get done and now it's about six more weeks till we really report back to camp.

"The intention is to get him back, ready to go. This was the intention, this was part of the long term plan to get him for the opener against the Panthers, but when we start camp that represents when he can get on the field and do some things and start to compete with his teammates.

"I don't know if you'd wanna use the term recovery but he has a very good training program that he's taken part in with Travelle Gaines and he's done some things over here that we thought would be good from a maintenance standpoint. That was what all parties felt like was the best thing, and most importantly what Todd thought was best. Todd's earned the right for us to listen to him, and take everything into consideration."

Last week NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that Gurley's days as a "every-down bell cow are probably over just based on his knee, his age, the position, the amount of carries he's had."

Gurley, who carries a dead-cap charge of $34.8 million in 2019 and $25.6 million in 2020, averages $14.4 million on the deal he signed last summer.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

• 18 / 18
180 posts Apr 15 2024