180 posts
  • 4 / 18
 by BobCarl
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

AltiTude Ram wrote:Call me when the season starts and Gurley is in a wheelchair. 🙄
lmao ... If the money in Max's wallet isn't printed with the words: "In Gurley We Trust" then to him it is counterfeit.

by max
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:It doesn't matter if he is there or not ... he still gets to keep the guaranteed $18 million that the Rams agreed to on March 15th.

You should be worried about 2022 with Gurley.

C'mon Max ... in your infinite wisdom. Why did the Rams guarantee Gurley $18 mill on March 15th of this year when they could have saved the $18 mill and walked away?

They are hoping to get 2 more good years out of him and maybe they can win a SB in that time. That is worth 18M

by BobCarl
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

max wrote:They are hoping to get 2 more good years out of him and maybe they can win a SB in that time. That is worth 18M
exactly and if the Rams were as worried as you are about Gurley's knee then they would have opted out of the contract.

by max
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:exactly and if the Rams were as worried as you are about Gurley's knee then they would have opted out of the contract.

You are assuming:
1. You know how worried both I am and the Rams are about Gurley's knee.
2. You know how the Rams would react to their concern about his knee.

That is all pure conjecture.

by Indrid Cold
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Kind of a weak argument, too, given there would have been $18M of dead money on this year's cap by not committing to the future guarantees.

by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:You are assuming:
1. You know how worried both I am and the Rams are about Gurley's knee.
2. You know how the Rams would react to their concern about his knee.

That is all pure conjecture.

Well, of course its conjecture, but not all conjecture is created equal. I'd evaluate the quality of conjecture based upon two factors (1) the presence of known facts that support the conclusion being drawn, and (2) the logic supporting the conclusion.

So let's evaluate...

Bob opined that you are particularly worried about Gurley's health. The known fact that seems to support this conclusion is that you have frequently (perhaps more than anyone else here) posted cautionary and somewhat pessimistic comments regarding Gurley's knee. The conjecture that this indicates worry on your part is entirely logical.

Bob also opined that the Rams willingness to pay Gurley his full compensation, rather than attempting to renegotiate, suggests confidence in his health. Again, this conjecture is supported by a fact (the Rams are continuing to pay Gurley) and certainly is logical.

None of this means that Bob is necessarily right, but in the absence of access to all facts, I'd say his conjecture is very reasonable.

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Gurley has what, $50 million in guarantees at signing, according to Sportrac, has a dead cap number of $35 million this year? Cutting him would seem like a non starter financially regardless of anything else.

The situation is certainly curious. The Rams have a very specific plan for Gurley but apparently that plan isn't for public consumption. Why not just say, here's when we plan to have Gurley practicing with the team, here's when we plan to have him at full participation?

There's no mystery about the Cooper Kupp plan.

I don't know what the advantage or implications are of the way the Rams are handling the Gurley situation but it's no wonder fans and reporters alike are taking notice...

by dieterbrock
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Did they avail their plan for signing Aaron Donald? Resting all the starters for the majority of the PS games? I don’t know, just seems they don’t publicize a lot about Gurley and other players use or otherwise

by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The situation is certainly curious. The Rams have a very specific plan for Gurley but apparently that plan isn't for public consumption. Why not just say, here's when we plan to have Gurley practicing with the team, here's when we plan to have him at full participation?

I'd say the answer is that, at this point, they don't know. He's working out, and he'll practice when he's ready. If that means his first practice will be the Wednesday before Week 1, so be it.

This is hardly surprising. How much practice does Todd Gurley really need? In his rookie year, missed all of training camp, sat out the first two games, and had 6 carries in game 3. Game 4: 19 carries, 146 yards (and 100+ yards in each of the next 3 games).

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:Did they avail their plan for signing Aaron Donald? Resting all the starters for the majority of the PS games? I don’t know, just seems they don’t publicize a lot about Gurley and other players use or otherwise

AD is a great example. Negotiations were ongoing, they didn't know how it would turn out. They had no choice but to talk in vagaries: Signing AD is a priority, we want him to be a Ram for a long, long time, etc. Hard to be specific about an unknown.

And that's why the Gurley situation is notable to me. It's reasonable to think there are some unknowns still in play...

• 4 / 18
180 posts Apr 16 2024