3 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

was recently scrolling through the l.a. coliseum instagram account (which has a lot of great vintage photos and historical stadium info), and came across this gameday program from the 1983 season, the divisional round, the raiders knocked off the steelers at the coliseum and eventually advanced to the super bowl and won it.

the reason it caught my eye is because i own the original painting used for this cover, painted by well known artist peter palombi, who also did the artwork for a lot album covers back in the day:
https://www.google.com/search?q=peter+p ... 80&bih=616

here's the original, it's actually a pretty large piece:

05.jpg

02.jpg

many years ago, during my vintage football helmet collecting days, i met a gentleman who was one of the first members of nfl properties, he had a bunch of original vintage artwork (used for gameday programs, and other nfl merchandising) from his days with the outfit, which he obtained when nflp outgrew their original offices in the early 60s and relocated - as he put it, in those days you just threw stuff out, which is exactly what happened with a lot their stuff, but he salvaged as much as he could. anyway, i've always loved this type of vintage nfl memorabilia, so i made him an offer to purchase quite a few pieces and he agreed.

here are a few more of the items i picked up:

this jan stenerud is a classic, and my favorite of the pieces, it was used in a lot of merchandising back in the day:

01.jpg

a couple of others:

10.jpg

04.JPG

and a vintage nflp's merchandising guide for manufacturers which lays out strict guidelines in terms of team colors, logos and uniform scheme:

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

by maxxx power
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1015  
United States of America   Norcal
Pro Bowl

All of that is awesome.

If you are ever open to parting with that uniform guide let's chat.

by LARams_1963
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

Me, my pops, and my brother were actually at that '83 playoff game! We were pulling for the Steelers, cause we hated the Raiders. Luckily the Raiders won, or else we wouldn't have made it out in one piece... :lol2:

• 1 / 1
3 posts Apr 15 2024