30 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Tonight, Commissioner Roger Goodell will take the podium... and the fans will boo.

What exactly are they booing about? Who knows? Backlash from player discipline? Vague connection to kneeling issue? General brainless mob mentality?

Here's the bottom line with that... (1) Goodell's job is to be the heavy, and (2) he gets paid $35M/year to take on that role. So, if anyone thinks a little booing is going to bother him, they are kidding themselves.

Some other dumb things we'll hear:

"He's a reach." I'd guess that many of us have used this cliche, but if you think about it, its pretty dumb. Our (and when I use that term, I'm referring to anyone who is not a scout or a decision maker) opinions regarding where a player should be slotted are just that... opinions. We're wrong... a lot. Teams are not always right, but they know more than we do, so if a team rates a player we see as a 2nd rounder as a 1st rounder, we should probably temper the "reach" comments.

"I give them a grade of ____" Here's all you need to know about draft grades: every team gets the same grade: INC.

Okay... cynicism and bitching done.

Let's enjoy the draft!

by RedAlice
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

It’s in Nashville. Not too far from NOLA so I’m sure there will be screen time for those whiners and plenty of booing Goodell from them.

Prolly in their Goodell clown shirts.

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

That's all part of the pageantry and tradition of the draft. I'm not sure there's even a reason for it at this point. David Stern used to get the crap booed out of him at the NBA draft and though i don't really follow hockey, google tells me they boo the NHL commissioner too.

Mel Kiper might be a clown but he helped make the draft what it is today. We love to mock these guys and hang on every word at the same time. It's all part of what's great about it.

The draft is like a lot of gambling/sports: there's both skill and luck involved. It's not an exact science and it's not a crap shoot. It's somewhere in between. Not everyone is comfortable in that space.

I've gotten pretty good at enjoying the process without drawing a lot of concrete conclusions...

by snackdaddy
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Here's the bottom line with that... (1) Goodell's job is to be the heavy, and (2) he gets paid $35M/year to take on that role. So, if anyone thinks a little booing is going to bother him, they are kidding themselves.

I can be an asshole for a lot less if they're interested. 8-)

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I can be an asshole for a lot less if they're interested. 8-)

I've dabbled in pro bono work in that area. :twisted2:

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

RedAlice wrote:It’s in Nashville. Not too far from NOLA so I’m sure there will be screen time for those whiners and plenty of booing Goodell from them.

Prolly in their Goodell clown shirts.

It’s a 8 to 9 hour drive from New Orleans to Nashville.

You’re thinking of Memphis.

• 1 / 3
30 posts Apr 15 2024