15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Rams43
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   64  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Here’s my thinking...

The worst case scenario, IMO, is that Snead can’t do a modest tradedown and will be forced to take the 25th best non-QB or non-WR football player in this draft.

And that’s assuming that not one single team ahead of us makes any eval mistakes. An unlikely event, indeed.

Then there’s the fact that the Rams are not desperate for any given player or position. They can literally select any player that they really like that falls into their lap and still be happy.

Few talent evaluators can match Snead’s ability in recent years, so the hit rate on a pick at #31 should likely be very high. That can’t be overstated.

Again, the above constitutes the WORST case scenario for the Rams, IMO.

I’m guessing that there will be at least a dozen players sitting there at 31 that they would be very happy to have.

Now, if Snead can pull off a tradedown as I hope? Then it gets even better because Snead would still have 2-5 fairly equally rated players to pick from AND an extra 3rd or 4th.

I’m loving this draft chess match unfold.

Hot Damn!

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I definitely think Snead's phone will be ringing Thursday night.

I'd particularly keep an eye on the QB position in the first half of Round 1. If teams like the Giants, Broncos and Dolphins address other needs, they could look to jump back into the first round to grab a QB. Similarly, if there is an early run on QBs, a "second tier" guy like Will Grier may suddenly become a hot property at the back end of the first round for teams looking to groom a guy for 2020 and beyond.

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Over under on QB's taken in first round is 3.5 and most seem to like the over...

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Trade down for an extra third and take a DT or OL in the 2nd round. Then trade back up into the 2nd with 2 of the 3rd's and take a DT or OL. Still have another 3rd left to take a CB or LB

by safer
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

IF the Giants do NOT take a QB with their two first rounders, then we should look to trade #31 UNLESS we get lucky and a stud falls to us) for their #37 pick; their low 3rd rounder AND their 2020 3rd. They get a QB with an extra year on his rookie contract, and don't take a bunch of shit for not taking a QB this year. It could get really interesting if the 3rd-5th ranked QB's fall in this draft.
That would also give us THREE picks towards the end of the 3rd round.

by dieterbrock
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

As much as that 5th year option is a lucrative perk, it also adds up to an expensive off season when having multiple players in that position.
I had heard Raiders were looking to move out of the 1st with their 3rd pick for that reason. Also why I don’t think it makes sense for the Giants. If they don’t trade for Rosen or take a QB with 1 of their 1st 2 picks, I can’t see them moving in for a 3rd crack

by safer
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

All good points Dieter, but when one has sucking team, and they have high picks, isn't it almost inevitable that (IF you pick well) you are going to have that issue if your team is ascending? Like us?
I think most teams really would prefer having an extra year with a QB, especially one who is going to sit for a year. The Gmen, in particular, got a lot of heat this year even as great as RB Barkley is. It's one thing for a team to rebuild.....and another for them not to have an obvious plan when it comes to QB.
This is going to get really interesting when the draft gets into the 20's. I can also see us moving up IF DT Simmons or Lawrence falls into the mid twenties.

by Rams43
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   64  
Practice Squad

I will be very surprised if the Rams trade up for either Simmons or Lawrence. Hell, maybe stunned would be a better word.

In fact, picking either at 31 would kinda disappoint me.

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

When I look at a trade like the one the Seahawks just pulled off for Frank Clark, I wonder if the Rams might be in a good position to fleece (pun intended) someone.

If we could turn the #31 into two second round picks, I'd consider it. In this draft, there's enough depth at positions of need to warrant such a move.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 16 2024