42 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Deandre Baker

McVay seems to be able to help focus players that have had off the field issues. I doubt that Baker will slide all the way down to 31.

This is one guy that I'd trade up a few slots to get.

His man-to-man coverage is excellent.

WalterFootball wrote:Baker has a lot of skills that should translate to the NFL and could turn him into a starter early in his career. Perhaps his best trait is the quality of his instincts. He recognizes routes well, reads receivers' hands and eyes well, and times breakups well. While Baker is not the fastest of corners, he has speed and athleticism to run the route and prevent separation. Baker breaks on routes well and has good ball skills. He shows a nice ability to slap passes away or catch them. Baker is a very smooth receiver who is adept to stay in his backpedal when other corners are unable to maintain it.

Along with instincts and ball skills, Baker is a physical defender who will battle receivers. He doesn't back down and plays with an aggressive attitude. Baker also has an impressive ability to come up with some big plays in the clutch.

There are a few things Baker can improve upon as a pro. He can be too physical with his hands while running with receivers downfield. That contact could lead to pass interference and holding penalties in the NFL. Baker looks quicker than fast, so showing the ability to match up with elite speed receivers will be looked at. During the fall, team sources told me that Baker lacks elite speed and is more of a 4.55 guy in the 40-yard dash. That belief was given proof at the combine, where he ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds. Thus, Baker could have problems carrying verticals in the NFL, and it would be best if he is not matched up in man coverage on speedsters like Antonio Brown, DeSean Jackson and Will Fuller.

In speaking to team sources, they feel that Baker's tape and talent level should have him going in the No. 10-15 range of the first round, but they believe he will slide some because he has off-the-field issues and has not interviewed well with teams during the leadup to the 2019 NFL Draft.

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Johnathan Abram
If the Rams get him, he'll be fun to watch because he is so physical ... put him in the A-gap as a blitzer and QB's will piss themselves.... but Abram scares me. He is a bit reckless and plays with no mercy against players that are like deer in the headlights. Abram won't see many weak players in the NFL so he will struggle to find victims to bully.

He likes to shoulder-tackle, hopefully that bad habit can be broken.

WalterFootball wrote:Abram is a physical force. He is a violent hitter who shows strength and explosion as a tackler. Abram not only can dish out bone-rattling hits, but he is a reliable to wrap up. With good speed and athleticism, Abram flies around the field and can break down to make tackles in space. He is a very good open-field tackler who gets ball-carriers to the ground and does it with ferocity.

In the ground game, Abram is excellent. He is a good tackler who comes downhill aggressively with zero hesitation to meet backs in the hole or backfield. Abram is very dangerous with plays in front of him and attacks. As a pro, he would have enough size and plenty of physicality to be the eighth man in the box. He should be an asset as a run defender and will help to make his team much tougher to run on. Through his strength and tenacity, Abram can take on big backs. With his speed and tackling technique, Abram is adept at taking down speed backs. Abram could be one of the better run defending safeties in the NFL during his career.

Abram is a solid defender for pass coverage entering the NFL. He is good in zone coverage, using his instincts to be around the ball and make plays. Abram also is an enforcer in the middle of the field who will punish receivers for crossing the middle. With his speed and athleticism, Abram can also play some man coverage on tight ends. He should be a nice safety to help defenses match up against receiving mismatches at tight end. Abram also can help on big receivers in man coverage. He has range in the middle of the field and is able to cover a lot of ground.

With his athletic flexibility, Abram can contribute as a free safety. He has the speed and instincts to line up deep to defend that part of the field. However, sources say that free safety is not a natural fit for him. He has range and athletic ability, but is better coming forward. Thus, while he could play some free safety, his NFL team probably would not want him playing free safety on an every-down basis. Abram also has some limitations in man coverage on slot receivers. He is not a good fit and could give up plays if he is forced to play man on fast and shifty slot receivers. Still, Abram is a solid coverage safety who should be reliable to defend the middle of the field.

Multiple team sources say that Abram is their top safety prospect in the 2019 NFL Draft. Thus, he could be a pick in the back half of the first round and should not last long if he slips to the second round. Being a late first-round or high second-round pick is where Abram will most likely be drafted.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... z5lOYr258x

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... TgTJqOl.99

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Sorry Avenger, but I have a very strong feeling Simmons will be a Ram. I think they trade out of 31 and get an extra 4th, possibly 3rd and grab Simmons in the second with their first pick. Him and Donald will be dominant for the next 5+ seasons, starting in 2020.

As of today, there is no indication that the Rams have met with Simmons. Given has baggage, I’d be surprised to see them take him sight unseen.

by dieterbrock
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:As of today, there is no indication that the Rams have met with Simmons. Given has baggage, I’d be surprised to see them take him sight unseen.

Which is also why, with his alleged “character concerns”, Tillery is highly unlikely to be a Ram

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:Which is also why, with his alleged “character concerns”, Tillery is highly unlikely to be a Ram

Speaking of:

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Which is also why, with his alleged “character concerns”, Tillery is highly unlikely to be a Ram

I'm not aware of any comparable "character issues" with Tillery but, even if there were, the Rams have met with him. They apparently have not met with Simmons.

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

In the interest of keeping this thread as a "one stop shop" for draft weekend, here are two Rams' 7 round mocks, one by me and one by JackPMiller:

Av's Picks:
Round 1(31): Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson (Alternate: Jerry Tillery, DL, Notre Dame)
Round 3(94): Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan (Alternate: David Long, CB, Michigan)
Round 3(99): Nate Davis, OL, North Carolina-Charlotte (Alternate: Connor McGovern, OG, Penn State)
Round 4(133): David Long, LB, West Virginia (Alternate: Vosean Joseph, LB, Florida)
Round 5 (169): Will Harris, S, Boston College (Alternate: Sheldrick Redwine, S, Miami)
Round 6(203): Kerryth Whyte, Jr., RB/KR, Florida Atlantic (Alternate: Tony Pollard, RB/WR/KR, Memphis)
Round 7(251): Malik Reed, EDGE, Nevada (Alternate: Curtis Atkins, OLB, Memphis)

Jack's Picks:
Round 1: Nasir Adderly CB/S Delaware
Round 3: Michael Jordan OG Ohio State
Round 3: Ben Banogu DE/OLB TCU
Round 4: Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M
Round 5: Corey Ballentine CB Washburn
Round 6: Montez Ivey G Florida
Round 7: Darnell Woolfork RB Army

If anyone else wishes to post a mock (or even a partial mock) here, please feel free!

by dieterbrock
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I'm not aware of any comparable "character issues" with Tillery but, even if there were, the Rams have met with him. They apparently have not met with Simmons.

Don't know why I thought he hadn't met with Rams, but clearly he has. My bad.
I'm a big fan of Tillery and put "character issues" in quotes because there has been a bunch of stuff posted about him that IMO is total nonsense. There have been some who have questioned his "desire to play football" and of course his infamous USC stomp...
We talked about it a bit in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10391

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Don't know why I thought he hadn't met with Rams, but clearly he has. My bad.
I'm a big fan of Tillery and put "character issues" in quotes because there has been a bunch of stuff posted about him that IMO is total nonsense. There have been some who have questioned his "desire to play football" and of course his infamous USC stomp...
We talked about it a bit in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10391

Ah... gotcha. The Rams have also shown some interest in Jachai Polite (who I've seen in mocks from the late 1st all the way down to the 3rd round) who had some disciplinary issues at UF.

• 2 / 5
42 posts Apr 16 2024