102 posts
  • 6 / 11
 by aeneas1
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Snead & McVay never said nothing was wrong.

pretty sure we all know what snead, mcvay, gurley, etc. have said on the subject - just as we all know how their position on the subject has been, and continues to be, received by more than a few scribes and internet warriors.

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:pretty sure we all know what snead, mcvay, gurley, etc. have said on the subject - just as we all know how their position on the subject has been, and continues to be, received by more than a few scribes and internet warriors.

You're turning your own personal take on this into "we all know." Well, that's incorrect.

It's funny how I post about this. Here, I end up saying a lot, yeah there was something and we don't know what it is, and the team is tight-lipped about it, AND they talk about managing playing time. So it's reasonable to say there's something, we just don't know enough yet to draw real conclusions. That sometimes meets with fierce resistance. From just a handful of the same guys, but still.

Another place I post, I end up saying we don't have any hard evidence, yeah there could be something but we don't know that yet, it's too soon to draw conclusions. That is, in other discussions, a lot of people assume the arthritis report is just true. I end up saying we don't have enough yet to conclude anything about that.

So no you are not speaking for everyone. In fact I;m not even the only person in this thread who approaches this topic the way I do.

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Mother of God.

I don't get the hyperbole. Kind of drama-queen-ish.

On another board, there are extremists on the other side too. So for example when it got casually mentioned that Gurley would be talking to the press on Monday, a handful wondered if he was announcing his retirement. The assumption was, it would be about the knee.

It had to be pointed out that several players and the coach would be speaking at a scheduled press conference to herald the opening of off-season team activities.

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:right?

There's a genuine, authentic real honest answer that some don't want to believe.

McVay has been consistent since the playoffs on how Gurley's production played out in the NFC Championship game and the Super bowl.

Shaking my head as to why this is still challenged. :roll2:

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:right?

Wrong question. And McVay handles it the way he always has. Was he hurt? No, says McVay, he was "obviously banged up at the end of the year." Which in itself raises issues.

No one ever said at any point in this that he was injured. That's why "so was he hurt" is the wrong question. He had physical issues but an injury is a violent physical trauma that directly damages tissue or bone and has to heal or be dealt with surgically. Whatever is wrong with Gurley is something else, it's more of some kind of recurring condition.

And he had 2 episodes during the season (September and December)--it has led the team to discuss keeping his touches down. They call it wear and tear, but wear and tear on a surgical knee is no laughing matter. If he is prone to that, it will happen again. Which is why they talk about managing him.

McVay says about the situation after the December pain/inflammation thing, "he's so tough, he's pushing through different things."

He says that right now he is feeling good. Well that would be expected. Rest. If he gets wear and tear on a surgical knee (and that's what the RAMS said happened in 2018), then rest without football contact will help that. If it is as some believe arthritic, same thing.

NOTHING he says there takes back his comment during the season: "from the amount of work that he’s had, there’s been a wear and tear on that knee." Saying that was honest too though if people are ignoring things, it's that.

So how does all this get talked about by people?

managing his workload more delicately in 2019 seems like a prudent move. ...McVay wouldn’t have to relegate Gurley to a complementary weapon in the offense to monitor his workload. Given the knee issue appears like it’s one that could pop up at any moment, shaving a few reps and allowing the running back a few more respites each game could work just as well.
Rich Hammond@Rich_Hammond
This issue still hasn’t fully been addressed on a transparent level.

(This is not directed at Myles, FYI.)

The thing is, from a competitive standpoint, the Rams probably don’t want to say how they will use Gurley in 2019. And they probably shouldn’t say it. But this little two-step that’s been going on since December is…eh.
Skip Bayless asked Anderson, “How hurt was Todd when you got there?”

“He was more hurt than what we thought,” Anderson replied. “The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself.”
“There was no specific injury,” Wyche said on NFL Network. “Remember Week 12 against the Kansas City Chiefs, he aggravated the knee, OK? There was an aggravation right there. Something inflamed. They sat him out those final two games right there, but then he came back in the playoffs and he looked just fine....Wyche said the Rams staff will have to manage Gurley’s touches a bit more after a sizable workload already in his career.
BONSIGNORE: Publicly and privately, the Rams are not indicating anything more beyond the recent comments by McVay and Snead that Gurley was dealing with “wear and tear” issues late in the season....McVay and Snead have talked about putting a plan in place that will help keep Gurley fresh and effective over the course of a full season. Presumably, that means managing Gurley’s usage and touches during practice and games and investing in a capable backup running back that can capably share the workload.
SNEAD: "I think where we have to go is to fast forward to now is with Todd, he's had a lot of carries since he's come in the league, a lot of yards, a lot of touchdowns things like that," Snead said. "Obviously, senior year, junior year, Georgia, (tore) the ACL, so over that time there's an element of wear and tear and I think we have to determine in probably two stages: are we going to give him the amount of load that he's had in the past or are we going to lessen that load to let's say keep him fresher for the season and for the seasons beyond.

"If you go that route, you have to have a good, let's call it Batman and Robin combination or add another superhero figure into that and figure how you're going to do it. We're in the process of figuring that out and I do think with Todd and his career -- it happens to a lot of young guys, all of a sudden they wake up ... and you're a little sorer than you were the day before. So, recovery, things like that have to come into it, but it's something we want to be intentional about and proactive."
“I don’t know exactly medically when you categorize what arthritis is,” McVay said. “I do know that just from the amount of work that he’s had, there’s been a wear and tear on that knee.”
Gurley’s knee also was an issue after a season-opening victory over the Oakland Raiders, when Gurley rushed for 108 yards and caught three passes for 39 yards and a touchdown.

“It was a similar situation,” McVay said.
HAMMOND: Then, inevitably, the apparent full truth started to emerge. Jeff Howe of The Athletic learned that Gurley has an arthritic knee. Rams officials, given multiple opportunities to dispute the report, have not, and they’ve been steadfast that Gurley’s situation can be managed and that he can remain productive.

The Rams might be correct.

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:wrong planet. really.

I find that not reading posts is a good way to get in meaningless quips. It's not a real argument, of course, but so what else is new---message boards be like that sometimes. 8-)

by aeneas1
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:There's a genuine, authentic real honest answer that some don't want to believe.

McVay has been consistent since the playoffs on how Gurley's production played out in the NFC Championship game and the Super bowl.

Shaking my head as to why this is still challenged. :roll2:

honestly, this gurley stuff has become a rowan atkinson / elton john skit:

• 6 / 11
102 posts Apr 17 2024