22 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Neil039
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I believe everyone has their suspicions about TG3 and possible injury. Until he or the Rams come clean we speculate and take the little snippets we get.

Personally I’d just like to hear, Hey he’s hurt but he’s ready to tough through it for the team.

by /zn/
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Neil039 wrote:I believe everyone has their suspicions about TG3 and possible injury. Until he or the Rams come clean we speculate and take the little snippets we get.

Personally I’d just like to hear, Hey he’s hurt but he’s ready to tough through it for the team.

But they did say he was hurt. They said he had inflammation. That has a cause and until they know the cause, and fix it (if they can), then it has not gone away. But then something like that can be day to day, and get better then also get worse.

They said he had inflammation, and until they said they knew the cause and fixed it, that does not just disappear.

by BobCarl
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Neil039 wrote:I’d just like to hear ... he’s hurt

I'd like to hear that CJ has become a good blocker.

I like hearing that "this is still Todd Gurley's team".

I enjoy listening to CJ talk, after his playing career is over, I hope he works for a major sports network

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

FWIW:
https://sports.yahoo.com/c-j-anderson-t ... 24590.html
C.J. Anderson: Todd Gurley 'was more hurt than we thought'

One of the great mysteries from the Los Angeles Rams’ stunning, tepid performance in their Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots was the disappearance of Todd Gurley.

The star running back who tallied 1,831 yards from scrimmage and 21 touchdowns during the regular season was limited to 10 carries for 35 yards and one catch for a one-yard loss in New England’s 13-3 win. C.J. Anderson outsnapped Gurley in the game 75 to 57.

It was a trend that carried over from the playoffs that saw newly signed Anderson lead the Rams in carries and rushing yards in wins over the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints.

From change of pace to playoff mystery
When Anderson rushed for 123 yards and Gurley 115 yards in L.A.’s divisional-round win over the Dallas Cowboys, the change of pace looked like a stroke of genius from head coach Sean McVay.

When Gurley only saw four carries for 10 yards in a close win over the Saints in the NFC championship game, red flags went up. Something was clearly wrong.

Rams said Todd Gurley was healthy
But the Rams insisted all was well. Gurley wasn’t listed on injury reports ahead of games, and the team reported that the knee injury that sidelined Gurley for the last two weeks of the regular season was no longer a factor.

The Rams maintained the line even after the Super Bowl.

“He is [healthy],” McVay said. “I never enabled him to get into a rhythm offensively. … I think a lot of it was a result of some of the things they did, but a lot of it was play selection. I was not pleased at all for my feel for the flow of the game and kind of making some adjustments as the game unfolded. … I certainly didn’t do good enough for us, but Todd is healthy.”

C.J. Anderson says Todd Gurley was hurt
For the first time since the Super Bowl, we’re hearing contradictory information from inside the team indicating that Gurley was still dealing with knee issues.

It came Wednesday from Anderson, who opened up about Gurley’s struggles with Skip Bayless on “Undisputed.”

"[New England] slowed down a lot of our big plays and it was frustrating."@cjandersonb22 on Super Bowl LIII

“He was more hurt than what we thought,” Anderson said. “The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself.”

Sprained knee?

So Gurley wasn’t right, according to his backfield mate. Anderson said that Gurley didn’t talk with him about his injury, but speculated he was dealing with a sprained knee when prompted by Bayless.

“Yeah, he’d never really tell me,” Anderson said. “It was tough. I would say sprained knee. Obviously, it’s the same knee injury he’s had before in his career. Obviously I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee, you always have a knee. So it aggravates, and if he was getting a lot of touches earlier in the year — obviously him being one of the best running backs, that probably was the case.”

What Anderson told Bayless confirms what appeared obvious to everyone watching the Rams through the playoffs. There was no rational explanation for the team not using one of the game’s greatest weapons when the stakes were the highest.

Beyond injury, there was no rational reason for C.J. Anderson to see the field more than Gurley.

Why would Rams hide a Gurley injury?
It all begs the question, why? Why wouldn’t the Rams open up about Gurley’s status? Why would they take the risk of significant penalty for inaccurate information on an injury report instead of simply listing Gurley as questionable or probable?

Was McVay so wary of giving Bill Belichick a competitive advantage that he would rather hide Gurley’s injury?

It seems unlikely barring something more significant than lingering struggles from a knee sprain surfacing that we’ll ever get a straight answer from the Rams about Gurley’s health.

And the Rams may rue Anderson’s candidness that contradicts the company line.

But between watching the Rams and hearing Anderson’s comments Wednesday, it’s not hard to do the math.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Well that's what we thought.

NOLA and NE were very fortunate they faced us w/o arguably the best RB in the NFL.
Add that Kupp wasn't available, I'd say we did good and I like our chances next year. As long as TGII comes back strong..

by Elvis
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Everyone is running with this story, including us (i posted it as soon as i saw it) it but really CJ probably isn't saying anything new or newsworthy, most likely he's just talking and that's how it came out...

by Indrid Cold
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Not denying an injury was probably at play, but Gurley looked pretty spry on the 13-yd run in the 2nd half that got called back.

Methinks McVay got a little too cute and too inflexible with his RB rotation and workshare in the last 2 games...leaving CJ in for whole series/drives, including splitting him out as a WR on long 3rd downs, despite the lack of much success and game flow that seemed to need some RB involvement in the passing game or at least the threat of such.

by snackdaddy
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I think this confirms that they need a quality backup to reduce Gurley's touches in 2019. Maybe he won't get all the accolades with less touches but if he's the team player we think he is, he'd prefer being close to 100 percent in the playoffs. I think the ring means more to him than individual accolades.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

My hope is that the issue was an injury that, for whatever reason, was underplayed by Gurley and the team. That would be a short-term problem.

• 1 / 3
22 posts Apr 16 2024