69 posts
  • 5 / 7
 by phoenixrising
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Higher 2nd.

I don't see any chance of that. Given that he has 2 years left on a value-priced contract, I could see a third round pick.

I've mentioned that the Rams will have a dilemna when Woods/Kupp contracts come due. Woods may cost 12-14 mil/yr to sign in today's dollars. Why not keep him for a couple years and if he walks get a probable third round comp pick then?

by MikeRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   37  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

This seems absolutely insane to me. This year is a bad one for wide receiver free agents and the draft doesn't look real good either. Woods is certainly outperforming his contract, and you say we should trade him? Good lord! Don't you remember how hard it can be to put together a good wide receiving corps?

by Elvis
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38438  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Dick84 wrote:Ogletree was the leading tackler for the Rams in 17. He was captain in the defense for the first Rams playoff team in more than a decade.
He is one year older than Woods. The Rams got less back for him than they would’ve gotten in a comp pick.
The Rams chose to go with an unproven player in Littleton in an effort to get better at other positions.
Use your mosaic approach to see how a move like this could positively impact the team, rather than just the negative.

We went from Gregg Williams to Wade Phillips, from a 4-3 to a 3-4, Woods is excelling in an unchanged system he was brought here to play in...

by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Dick I ain't on board with anything you've said except release Barron, Sullivan and Brockers to free up 21.8 mil. That isn't enough to sign Suh, Saffold AND Fowler. I'd sign Fowler and Saffold and let Suh walk. Then I'd use the other 29 mil in cap space to sign a run stopping LB or two. Barr? Mosley? Maybe a bigger safety than Joyner or maybe Joyner himself. Who's our backup QB?

by Elvis
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38438  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Dick84 wrote:? Tree was playing in the 3-4 last year. It would've been his second season in the system.

You have Kupp and Reynolds playing in the system for multiple years taking up most of Woods weight.

You can make a good argument that Tree wasn't really Wade's type of LB. You cannot make that argument about Woods/McVay.

And the premise of what would BB do, BB tends to trade young talent that's due to get paid for picks whereas we tend to trade picks for young talent that's due so i'm not sure it makes sense on that level either...

by dieterbrock
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Higher 2nd.

So Woods has 3 years and 20.8 mill left. A 2nd rounder gets a 4 year contract for a third of that.
So we’d save some payroll but lose production

by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:It's enough, along with the rest of their cap space.
Barr? Moseley? Mosley could be Franchised and Barr? No, thanks, I'll take Brandon Marshall for a ton cheaper and he knows Wade's system.

I don't dispute Marshall was a helluva player in Wade's system. But how many games do we get out of him? He's had one injury free year in the last 3. He's only played full seasons twice. I get the attraction to "he knows Wade's system" but unless he's an absolute steal of a bargain I would worry about his value to dollar ratio.

Dick I think the logic is flawed. Trade a productive YOUNG Woods and sign an injury prone LB?

by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:So, tell me, what's the flaw in your "he gets injured" post?

He bucks the norm and at age 30, plays 16 games....productively? Possibly.

by dieterbrock
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I was more thinking that this was Woods first healthy year, or close to it.

Huh? He plays 14 games a year in his career, has missed only 10 games in 6 seasons.
Marshall has missed 10 games in the last 3 years alone....

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Sheesh, this thread is still going? :?
I thought "short life" when I first read it....eight pages ago.
I actually posted in this thread early on. Basically I said this:

Bill Bellicheck is universally recognized as the master of removing an opposing team's primary threat.
He demonstrated this again only 17 days ago against our Rams.
BB put 2 defenders on Robert Woods ALL GAME LONG...
...TO SCREW UP THE RAMS OFFENSE.
We punted NINE TIMES and scored THREE POINTS in the game where Robert Woods was recognized by BB as our primary chain-mover....AND BB ELIMINATED WOODS WITH THE DOUBLE COVERAGE.

When Bellicheck invests assets to stop a player, you HAVE TO admit that said player is KEY.....and basically, I do not think that trading key players, who we signed cheap, who hone their craft to also be great WR-blocking in our run game, who are fine young well-spoken guys in our locker room....I just do not think that trading those KEY players is the smart move. :idea2:

I just think that talking about trading those kind of key players is the wrong direction to go when you are trying to field a winning team in the hyper-competitive NFL.

I mean guys who put out 2000 yards receiving production in their first two years in a new system.....um, those guys don't just drop into your lap every day sportsfans! Especially when they draw below-market pay cheques. :idea2:

I say keep Robert UberProductive&Cheap! Woods on the Rams roster.

Wanna dangle a Ram WR as trade bait? A nice 2018 highlight film of Josh Reynolds could be spliced together in short order n'est-ce pas? I hear the Steelers might be looking for playmaking WRs this offseason. ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

• 5 / 7
69 posts Apr 16 2024