8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I'm going to post a series of threads breaking down the roster and giving my thoughts on where to go from here. I'll start with the QB and RB positions:

Quarterback
Signed through 2019: Jared Goff
Free Agents: Sean Mannion (UFA)

Jared Goff is the Rams starter for 2019. The Rams will undoubtedly exercise his 5th year option. I'm guessing they'll start talking about an extension a year from now. Sean Mannion is a bit of a mystery. He's had very little playing time, and most of it has been in preseason. In my opinion, he's never looked all that impressive. Still, he is familiar with the system and probably would not cost much to re-sign.

Av's Plan: Pick up Goff's option. Then, I'd probably try to sign Mannion to a short-term deal and then take a flyer on a developmental QB on Day 3 of the draft. While there will be some veteran QBs on the market, some of whom may end up as backups (Ryan Tannehill, Blake Bortles), I don't see the Rams investing in a FA QB (particularly those who want more than a 1 year deal) with Goff's second contract looming on the horizon).

Running Back
Signed through 2019: Todd Gurley, John Kelly, Justin Davis
Free Agents: C.J. Anderson (UFA), Malcolm Brown (RFA)

The mystery of Gurley's late season reduction in touches remains unsolved. For 2019, however, I'm presuming he'll be healthy and good to go. The lesson of this season, though, is that the Rams need a viable backup. Malcolm Brown could be that guy, and as a RFA, the Rams are in a position to lock him in before he hits the market. C.J. Anderson would be nice to have, but I'm guessing he's going to want more money than the Rams wish to pay him. Kelly and Davis seem like just "guys" at this point.

Av's Plan: I'd address this position in stages. First, I'd find out what Anderson wants. If its anything other than a cap-friendly deal, I'd move on and tender Brown. I also would not rule out using a draft pick (day 3) on a RB. There have been a lot of "diamonds in the rough" in recent years, and if the Rams don't think Kelly or Davis fits that description, I'd keep looking.

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Obviously Goff is the guy. So is Gurley. Both are going nowhere for a while. So it comes down to backups. Finding an experience vet backup will likely be too expensive. I gotta think Mannion get s a little raise. He's been there this whole time. Probably the most sense economically.

Kelly is wild card at running back. He's got the skill set to be a nice backup to Gurley. But for now Brown is the better back. Been there longer and is capable of playing well enough in a backup role or spot starter. I would think they tender him. I have a feeling CJ will be too expensive. His success really helped us. But it probably means he'll be moving on for more money than we could realistically afford.

by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Backup QB could be pretty interesting.

Maybe the Rams actually like Sean Mannion more than any of us realize or think they ought to and he's back, can't imagine there'd be much of a market for him, except maybe as a head coach (friends of Sean McVay and all that).

But if it's not Mannion (maybe there is a market for him, after all, he knows the offense, maybe Zac Taylor wants him in Cinci or something like that) then it's wide open...

by FMulder
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   192  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

I'd look at replacing Mannion. I get the whole "knows the system" thing but does anyone really think he could come in and win a game or series of games if Goff got hurt. I would love for them to have someone at bit more athletic than Mannion (who is a statue) as well

Regarding RB it will come down to Brown vs CJ. No way they keep them both. I was impressed with CJ obviously but was also pleasantly surprised by Brown and Brown does play special teams if that matters. I think Kelly sticks. I like the way he runs, he just has to learn the other parts of the position such as blitz and blocking assignments as well as his role as a receiver.

by dieterbrock
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Great post! I will look forward to the rest of the series.
QB- (Or should I say QB2)
I have a hard time swallowing that the Rams like Mannion. They sure haven't brought in competition to beat him out though, that's for sure. But when he's played? Good lord he looks terrible.
Personally, I'd like to see them bring in RGIII on a deal like he had in Baltimore, 1 year 1 mill. Obviously, he had experience with McVay so SMc would have co-signed it. I like the idea of a QB who can move around a bit for a back up. Then of course draft a QB
RB- Making assumption that Gurley is healthy, not even entertaining that he's not
Brown is RFA and will likely be back cheaply enough with Kelly. Loved having CJ, but cap room will be tight enough, no way they can afford to pay him what he will get elsewhere. I figure he'll get a front loaded deal, like 4 years for 20 mill with say 8-10 mill guaranteed.
Brown was looking real good before the injury and without that, might have been tougher to bring back

by rams74
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:QB- (Or should I say QB2)
I have a hard time swallowing that the Rams like Mannion. They sure haven't brought in competition to beat him out though, that's for sure. But when he's played? Good lord he looks terrible.
Personally, I'd like to see them bring in RGIII on a deal like he had in Baltimore, 1 year 1 mill. Obviously, he had experience with McVay so SMc would have co-signed it. I like the idea of a QB who can move around a bit for a back up. Then of course draft a QB

The only thing I'll say about a backup QB, is that for a few years there, I got real tired of watching noodle-armed, short guys playing backup, only to end up on the field as starters. Haven't had to see that with Goff (who stays on the field) and Mannion (who can at the very least, wing it). So I'd prefer if the next backup could be able to throw. If possible, accurately (I know that's asking a lot).

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Honestly, I wouldn't mind finding a guy who can add the other dimension. Running. If its just a game or two, a guy who can make plays with his feet can keep the team afloat till defenses find his weaknesses. As long as he has a strong arm and isn't terrible with accuracy.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 15 2024